Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Disgust

If there is one thing I have noticed since starting my job as a ballroom instructor, it's that people - and when I say people I mean humans in general - are disgusting. Before having to be in physical contact with people so constantly I was rather distant. I didn't hug, I didn't enjoy shaking hands without hand sanitized, and I generally sat with a generous amount if distance between the other person and myself. It wasn't that I was avoiding contact, I was just relatively untouchy. I had no knowledge of how unappealing physical contact could be. I was aware my job would require contact a large amount of the time I got used to it, but I also began to notice things. People do not smell very good. Laundry detegent smells good. Perfume/cologn smells good. Body spray and soap smell good. People do not. The smell that people have that I have begun to notice is best described as like warm sweat mixed with butter. It's as unpleasant as it sounds. Then there's the issue of breath. Some people are courteous enough to brush their teeth or chew gum tight before their lesson, but when they don't the default smell of breath is similar to a sour soup smell wafting at you. Lastly, there is the tactile aspect. This is rarely not a problem. Some people are nice and dry. Most of the time though, I have the displeasure of contact with someone who is slimy or just plain wet. Dance position for a man had one hand clasping the female's and the other on her shoulder blade. Hand sweat is to be expected and is never pleasant. The shoulder blade, however is usually slimy if uncovered and quite unpleasant. Worst of all are those who seat through their clothing. Touching them makes my skin crawl. People are disgusting...

1 comment:

  1. Slimy shoulders? Ewwwww. I know my shoulders are definitely not slimy. How the hell does that even happen?!

    Also... spell check. ;)
    Muahahha, now go follow me before you get sucked into WoW for the night.

    ReplyDelete